FCCU is your dedicated financial partner and we recognize that managing your money can be challenging at times. Our Overdraft Privilege (ODP) Program is changing to help you control your money and avoid excessive fees.
Standard Overdraft Practices come automatically (Standard ODP) with most checking accounts upon qualification.
Standard Overdraft Option
The Standard overdraft option covers the following types of transactions:
- Check and other transactions made using your checking account number (for example, ACH transactions)
- Automatic Bill Payments
- Recurring debit card transactions
Enhanced overdraft option
The Enhanced overdraft option will cover the following transactions if you ask us to:
- ATM transactions
- One-time and everyday Debit Card transactions
You must tell us if you want the Enhanced ODP option by submitting your selection on the opt-in form. You can provide your opt-in form through Online Banking under the forms tab, calling us at 281.856.5300 or stopping by any branch location. If you have already opted in, no action is needed.
Review the information below to familiarize yourself with the enhancements we are making to the Overdraft Privilege Program to better serve you. You may then take the action that best meets your financial needs. Most people find that “opting in” is the best solution for occasional overdraft situations. Below are some highlights of the applicable updates to the program.
ODP Program Highlights
- The changes to the Overdraft Privilege Program will be applied to your account effective January 23, 2019. You may always opt out of this program if you no longer want to participate.
- The prior ODP configuration of a $500 or a $700 limit will be eliminated and an individual limit will now be determined using a formula that takes into consideration your account history.
- Remember, whether we will pay an item presented is always discretionary and your account will be charged the usual overdraft or return item fee for each item presented against insufficient available funds. The overdraft fee will now be subject to a tiered structure that sets the amount of the overdraft fee based on your ODP activity within a rolling 12-month period. Please refer to the Fee Schedule here.
- We will not charge more than eight (8) ODP fees in one business day. This new enhancement will help to keep member overdraft fees from getting out of control. If you experience trouble managing overdrafts, please contact us at any time for assistance.
- Plus, to help our members save on fees, purchases and transactions of $5.001 or less that cause an overdraft, will NOT be charged an ODP fee. However, the ODP fee will be charged initially, but it will be refunded the next business day. If we choose to pay the transaction, we will simply allow you to go negative and expect that you will pay us back within the next few days.
Dealing with overdrafts can be costly, but FCCU has other less expensive overdraft protection plans that may serve you better in addition to or in lieu of the Overdraft Privilege Program. Give us a call at 281.856.5300 or stop by to talk about these alternatives which may include automatic account transfers from a line of credit, credit card or your savings account.
We’re here to answer these or any other questions you may have regarding your finances.
1Purchases/transactions of $5 or less will count as an overdraft occurrence.